' Petite on a Penny

Pages

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Considering: Cambridge Satchel

I am seriously considering buying a Cambridge Satchel. This Cambridge Satchel, to be exact:

I love its classic messenger bag style, the bright cherry red color (which would surely go with most of my often-neutral-toned outfits), and the fact that it is made from high quality leather and would (hopefully) last quite a long time.

Here's the thing: it's $119. I know that for many people out there, spending a hundred (or even a thousand) dollars on a bag is not that out of the ordinary. I, however, am notoriously stingy, for lack of a better word. I don't think any bag of mine cost more than $40, barring the one nice brown leather messenger bag I got as a gift for my 21st birthday.

But, I think I might do it this time around, for two very simple reasons: utility and timelessness. This bag is incredibly useful and would get near-daily wear. The style is timeless enough that I won't want to toss it in a year; instead, I think I'd keep it around for a very, very long time. Similarly, the quality of it is such that it'll hold up for years, making the cost-per-day ratio make a lot more sense. Every once in a while, spending more than I'm used to on a classic item that will fit perfectly into my wardrobe can make sense. At least, I hope it can. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...