' Petite on a Penny

Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Adventures in Tailoring: Loft Eyelet Skirt

Remember this not-quite-perfect skirt? It's back from the tailor's and I am incredibly happy with the way the alterations turned out!

Unhappy blogger wears a too-low skirt.

The tailor was able to make two cuts in the back to pull in the extra fabric, increasing the "poufiness" of the waistline a little bit (which is fine by me, as that design detail was already a part of the skirt, and hey--maybe it'll make me look more like I have hips!).

So, while I'm happy with the outcome I am NOT pleased with the price. It is in large part my fault for not asking beforehand how much the alteration would cost (I was going on good faith as my tailors have been pretty reasonably-priced in the past), but really, the price was ridiculous. I'm embarrassed to say how much it was, but suffice it to say that when your alterations cost more than your garment, that's probably a sign that it's not worth it. :-/ Well, (more than) a few pennies poorer, now I know, and I certainly won't make that mistake again!

Skirt: LOFT black A-Line Eyelet Skirt sz 00 / Top: Forever21 lilac t-shirt sz m / Shoes: White House Black Market sz 7.5 (very old, similar here) / Purse: White House Black Market (old) / Jewelry: given to me as gifts
Please please pardon the duster in the corner. Ick, just noticed that!


As for the outfit, I was inspired by the girlie-ness of the eyelet and wanted to go to town with the pearls (necklace, bracelet, shoes). I wish I had a long opera-length strand, or a slim black belt that was small enough to fit around my waist, because though I like this outfit, I definitely think it is missing one element. I'll be on the hunt for what that element is in the future!

White House Black Market Shoes sz 7.5 (very old and very loved),
complete with color-coordinated cat in the background!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...